Sunday, January 11, 2009

Summer Has Arrived!


My life basically revolves around two things at the moment; the beach and the girls. What I like about my life, is that I can combine the two on occasion. During the summer months, the boys go off to spend their vacation with relatives so I only work at the girls home. It's great because they have no school and it gives me tons of time to do whatever I want with them. I get a lot of projects accomplished during the summer months because they are all bored and eager to things with me. It wasn't hard to get them to go to the beach with me, and it actually counts as work. Take that corporate world!

Last year I didn't take enough advantage of living on the beach. I feel like I've already been to the beach more times this year than I did all of last summer. I

I've been really active as of late. The tiredness of mono seemed to hang on for months and I didn't have the energy to do much. But now I'm playing ultimate frisbee, swimming and volleyball on a very regular basis and it feels phenomenal to be back in shape. I'm even going to start an exercise class at the home with the girls.

The one major downside to the summer is the staggering heat. Being from the Sacramento valley, I'm used to 100 degree days. But in California I have the luxury of air conditioning, insulated housing and driving in a car. It never gets any hotter than the 80s here, but it's very humid and I have to walk an hour to get to the girls home. When I arrive I'm covered in a filmy sweat and all the dust from the dirt roads. The cement buildings become ovens that maintain the heat even when it gets dark and cool outside. I just lie on my bed at night and sweat. I wake up several times during the night and feel hot and miserable. The one nice thing is that cold showers are no longer painful but actually pleasant and necessary. Some times 2 or 3 times a day.

Thank god I live so close to the beach.

No comments: