Tuesday, October 2, 2007

More Birthdays and Goodbyes

My last title was Birthdays and goodbyes although I didnt really talk about either. Thats because I wrote all this stuff and it took me 20 minutes to upload 2 pictures and then it just stopped working. Here are a few more pictures Id like to share with you. This is in the evening of my birthday. We re sitting in Jockey Plaza, the mall thats right next to the PC headquarters in Lima. This is 5 minutes before I said goodbye to Adrienne. If any other Peru 9ers are reading this, dont leave! I cant say goodbye to anyone else. Adrienne leaving has made me really sad and I dont want to see anyone else go. Ive said a lot of goodbyes in this mall. It seems kind of an odd place to have so many emotional goodbyes, but to me, its just like doing it in an airport.


Jah is fat, Jake is harry and I havent gone to the bathroom in three days. I dont remember who insisted we take a picture of our stomachs, but I swear it wasnt me. This is how I spent my birthday night. Clowning around with Jake and Jah. We ended up going to show and bar. Nothing crazy, at least on my end.






This is my birthday celebration. All the kids put on a whole show for me. Im not sure why the boy on the right is dressed like spiderman.













Okay, so this picture is not of me or my site. I found it on Toms facebook page and I liked it a lot. I think its a great example of the way other PCVs live. This is tom, the guy I was dancing with on the youtube video. Hes up in Arequipa, which is way up in the Andes. Hes in front of his house washing his clothes by hand next to the faucet that is the only source of water for the house.



Arequipa is a new site. There are only a few volunteers there right now. Back in the 60s and 70s, peace coprs main focus was arequipa. I complain a lot about how cold Lima is. Yes, its true its gloomy and foggy all the time, but check out how cold Arequipa is. I especially like James poncho. There is a part of me that feels like Im not getting the real peace corps expereince, that Im not sacrificing or roughing it enough. I never imagined myself living so close to Lima, I always thought I would go up to the mountains. Once summer rolls around and I can soak in the sun at the beach, I dont think I will be complaining

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Al,
You are so funny- living in a foreign country and speaking a foreign language for 27 months and thinking that you aren't having a "real" Peace Corps experience! I would think that a Peace Corps experience is something that you can't really make a broad generalization about, except maybe to say that all volunteers are serving others. I know there are volunteers in more urban or more comfortable sites than yours somewhere in the world. Look at you with those kids- you are doing something really great, and that is more important than how much you are suffering. Besides, bathing in a bucket would get old fast! You may be having less of an adventure than some of your friends in Peru, but think about where you are compared to me, or compared to where you were last year at this time. I think you are having an amazing experience! I love you and miss you lots.
Hugs,
Amme

arddi.- Federico said...

Estuve leyendo y me gustaron tus entradas, me gustaria que hagas lo mismo en mi blog :).
gracias por el lugar, fede.
http://ganeplata.blogspot.com