Monday, March 24, 2008

March Madness

I haven't posted much in the month of march. Normally I will let up on frequent updates when I feel like life has slowed and there's not much to report. In contrast, this whole month has been crammed with non stop action, I have found very little time to sit and write out my thoughts. Here is the list of things I have done since the beginning of this month.


  • I had an in service training in Lima for a few days for center-based youth volunteers

  • There were a bunch of other meetings in Lima in which several Peru 9ers were in town for over the course of 2 weeks. These two weeks of course, were filled with debauchery and the slogan for one of the weeks was "best spring break ever" as so named by the boys who reconfirmed the sexual benefits of being a male PCV in Peru. This is me and two of my favorite 9ers pre-gaming before a now infamous night.
  • I went to 3 going away parties
  • My host mom had her birthday and we had a big party that lasted till 5 in the morning in our house. There were a bunch of relatives from out of town visiting and staying and I'm pretty sure my host moms brother (roughly 65 in age) hit on me relentlessly.
  • I went to a wedding shower and a wedding. Bianca, my PCV predecessor just married her Peruvian boyfriend of 2 1/2 years. It was my first wedding in Peru and really fun
  • The kids went back to school so once again I've had to figure out a new schedule
  • I went on vacation for semana Santa (or holy week or spring break) up to the mountains in Ancash for 4 days. It was amazing and I'll post pictures and stories soon.
  • I started training for a marathon. Last Wednesday I ran 9 miles! I have an 18 week training program and the race is scheduled for 4th of July weekend
  • I celebrated St. Patrick's Day with an old friend from Spain/UC Davis. We went to an English pub which only had Peruvian beer on tap. We searched all of Lima for an Irish car bomb but were sadly let down.

  • I've been going to the beach every free second (which unfortunately there aren't too many of) trying to soak up the last of the sun before the gray comes back. The weather's already starting to change and I'm scared....... That's me and Dennis Lee. He's a third year and lived in the town next to mine. He just closed his service on wednesday and he'll be flying out soon. Lima just won't be the same without him.

So this is just an overview of a few very hectic weeks. And there is still a full week left in march! I remember when my biggest fear about Peace Corps was too much down time. Now, I'm so busy I need to take a vacation from all the vacations I've been having. This past weekend in Huaraz, one of my male PCV's said that joining Peace Corps was the best decision he ever made. Then he paused and said "wow, I've never said that before, I must really mean it". This past weekend amongst mountains and friends I too realized how incredibly happy I am and that joining Peace Corps was the best decision I ever made as well.

1 comment:

Bagoo said...

your list should also include that you have been running through my head all month. wait, that should read that you are probably ready for a vacation because you must be tried from running through my head all month. cereally though, been thinking about you a lot and i'm glad to hear you are happy with your situation. love, fatty