Wednesday, April 30, 2008

In my Defense

My mother was kind enough to point out in my last blog entry, that I used the word accountability where I should have used the word accounting. Now, I have never claimed to be a champion wordist. A proper handle on grammar and spelling of the English language has always seemed just out of my grasp.

But that is my excuse this time. It's English! My primary spoken language these days is Spanish. A lot of volunteers say the more Spanish they speak, the worse their English gets. I don't know if this is true of not. I think my comprehension of this romance language has actually helped me make sense of the English language. But I have found that I am increasingly forgetting English words and have had to stop and think about such common words like avocado and mattress.

My accountability/accounting mix up is just one example of how the languages in my head are running together and no matter which one I am speaking, it often comes out as spanglish. You see, the word accounting in Spanish is contablilidad. And I wrote the blog entry moments after I had come back from trying to help that old lady with her US taxes and racking my brain for accounting jargon in spanish.

I know my English isn't great, but cut me a break. I struggle enough with one language and here I am trying to juggle two. I think my writing errors just give my blog entries my unique personality: far from perfect but they try really really hard.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

AliGirl! I absolutely love your writing! When I read your blog I miss you so much, because it's just so YOU, in the way you write AND in what you say. Keep it up! And believe it or not, you've actually become quite a marvelous writer!

amanda said...

I fully agree... I'm sitting here, with a final looming up in front of me in about an hour--blah!!... and I escape to your blog to make my brain and soul happy :)

Litter of Love said...

hey. i would like to know which email address i can use to write you. i am really tired of this two months waiting thing. i dont know how long it takes for a letter to get from denmark to peru but i think that it is rediculous. so, anyways, i love you and i want to write you an email but i dont know where to send it. my email address is [phoenixild@gmail.com]. i hope that you are still having the time of your life!
-your one and only spencer

Litter of Love said...

selvfølgelig jeg også ønsker at vise dig at du er ikke den eneste person som har problemer med at skrive på engelsk (eller amerikansk). siden jeg har vært her i landet mine evner at skrive og tale amerikansk har blevet lort. hvor sjovt!
-kærlighed,
spencer