Friday, November 28, 2008

Best Turkey of My Life

No offense mom, or to any other person who's turkey I've consumed over the years, but this Thanksgiving I had the best turkey ever. I'm normally not a big turkey girl, I'm in it more for the sides: green bean casserole, stuffing, cranberry sauce, pumpkin pie are usually the items that have me salivating come November.

Peru has given me a new appreciation towards proteins. I really do view meat as a luxury now that I live with a family that considers chicken feet a great source of amino acids. But even taking into account my love of consuming things that were once alive, I still never thought I would have the most amazing Thanksgiving turkey here in Peru.

I've been making a big effort to expand my social circle in Lima. I made a good group of friends early on and realized recently that I wasn't making an attempt to meet new people outside the sanctity of my known network. But since coming back from medevac in September I was ready to put myself out there again and expand my horizons. Even in the states I never had just one set of friends. My social circles have always run deep. Especially when living in a foreign country where people are always moving away, it's good to have reserves.

What does all of this have to do with the best Turkey I ever ate? Well, if it wasn't for my recent social expansion, I never would have eaten this turkey. I met a girl named Ryan who is dating the head of diplomatic security for the embassy. Anthony is a big guy, I would guess 6'5'' with buzzed blond hair and some fat tattoos. His demeanor is tough but he is a big softy and is becoming a good friend. He really loves to cook and hosting thanksgiving dinner was his idea. Along with sharing a love a cooking, Anthony and I share another love, sausage. The other week we discovered our shared passion and had an hour long discussion on all things linked. I always complain that you can't find good sausage in Peru and Anthony told me at the commissary at the US embassy sells all kinds of good sausage. Since I am not allowed to shop at the commissary, Anthony has agreed to be my sausage hook-up. Ryan's okay with that too.
Pictured above, Winos.

So Thanksgiving this year, instead of cooking a whole turkey, Anthony got a long, lean chunk of turkey (I don't know what to call it, it looked like a big pork loin) and stuffed it with Italian sausage. Sausage stuffed turkey!! There aren't words to describe the delight I took in eating this masterpiece of a dish. When I have a readily available supply of sausage I will make this incredible meal for my family.

Apart from the turkey, my thanksgiving was lovely. I have spent the night at Ryan and Anthony's before and they are so good to me, that their place is beginning to feel like another home away from home. There is a group of girls I've been hanging out with lately, all of whom were there. I invited Josh, the new water and sanitation PCVC and recent Bolivan evacuee to come with me. Josh reminds me of my friends from home because all he does is make fun of me. It wouldn't be thanksgiving without someone giving me a hard time the whole night. We went through so many bottles of wine and at the end of the night were so full of good food, good wine and good friends.

The best part is that this is only thanksgiving take one! Take two commences tomorrow night at Tania's house. Today Ryan and Eric Lucchessi and Stephanie are all arriving from California. They are going to spend two days in Lima and then we are all flying to Cusco to climb the Inca trail.

I hope everyone had a good Thanksgiving. I am thankful that you care about me enough to read about my life. I miss you all!

1 comment:

Lili said...

We missed you at our Thanksgiving Ali, but I'm glad you have found people to love for the holidays! Love ya,
Mama