Sunday, November 11, 2007

Life in the Slow Lane

It seems to me, my life has gone from new and crazy to slow and boring. I don´t feel I have all that much to write about. Actually, I have a bunch of entries written but I haven´t posted them because I feel they wouldn´t be interesting to any one. Things that once would have shocked me and made me write a detailed email about the strange things I encounter, now seem redundant. It could be that I have fallen into a bit of a slump and lost my vigor to capture all the things that are happening around me. But honestly, I don´t feel that anything worthy to write home about has happened recently.

I feel I am in desperate need of a vacation from my everyday life. Luckily, in just a few days I will be leaving the dusty roads of Buena Vista for the sunny beaches in the north on my first vacation in 6 months. That is, if you don´t count Peru itself as a type of vacation, which I do in many aspects. I really can´t wait to escape the day in and day out hassles I put up with on a regular basis. I look forward to not having to feel nervous about standing in front of troubled teens trying to generate discussions in a language that is not my native tongue. I can´t wait to be among friends with whom I feel like myself and talking to them is relaxing and fun instead of hard and embarrassing.

On Friday morning I will go into the PC office and Lima and work on my community base line presentation for my 3 month reconnect. I will spend the night in Lima on Friday cause I have to be at a workshop for international volunteers in the area, early in the morning. That evening I will get on an overnight bus and wake up Sunday morning in Trujillo. From there I will travel to a hotel on the beach where my reconnect is being held. Monday-Wednesday is the reunion and then we are all staying an extra day so we can spend thanksgiving together. After that I don't know what I will do. I don´t have to be back at site till Monday. I´m either going to spend the weekend on the beach or go up into the mountains for the first time. No matter what I do, I´m going to be spending time with friends. Contrary to what I thought orginally, spending so much time on my own has gotten harder and more lonely. I thought I would get used it by 3 months, but it has only made me feel more alone. I´m anxiously counting down the days till I leave. Only 4 nights to go. And I´ll be pretty busy trying to get everything ready and cram in extra time at the Hogars to make up for the week I am going to miss. At least I know my new life in the slow lane will move pretty quickly while I am hustling to get everything done on time.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm glad you're getting a vacation- go to the beach, what could be more fun and relaxing than that?! I'm sure a change of pace will help a lot. Have a great time with your friends in Lima, it sounds like you really need and deserve a break. Sending big hugs your way, love ya babe!