Wednesday, February 20, 2008

I Want to Rock and Roll All Night

Part of living in another country is having to adapt to with the norms and fads that are different from your own. One defining characteristic of almost of any country is it´s music. I thought that Peru would listen to more of a Latin or even South American blend of music, much like Euro pop or something. But I was very surprised to find out that most Peruvians only listen to Peruvian Music. Sure, Shakira and Enrique get a decent amount of air time, but in general the average Peruvian only knows made in Peru.

This is supposed to be one of the fun parts of expereincing a new culture. And at first it was fun. Within the first week or two of training I could already recognize some of the popular songs and even begining to learn some of the words. Now, 8 months later, I know all the words to all the songs. And that was cool too, 5 months ago. I`m not sure if it`s because there is limited variation of music because Peru is not the largest country or if it`s because Peruvians flat out dislike things that are new, but he same 20 songs that were repeatedly played when I first arrived in country back in June are still being blasted on every radio station. I`m not insiuating that there have been 20 songs that have been so popular they are still topping the charts, I am saying that it`s that they don´t play any new music. It`s like being stuck in a time warp. Maybe it`s just a cultural difference. In the US the music industry is so competetive that every day 50 new songs and artists come out. The US pop scene may be easy to criticize for many reasons, but at least there is no lack of variety on the music scene.

I made this comment to a Peruvian friend who has spent time in the states and he got very defensive and told me it was the same way in the US as it is in Peru. He said that we play the same 20 songs over and over again. I agree with this statement but I am sure the same 20 songs that were being played in June 2007 are not the same 20 songs that are being played right now. Which makes me wonder, what the heck kind of music is popular right now back home?

My friends defensiveness over the the repetitive music in Peru stayed with me. I wondered it I was just being close minded or rejecting the music here because deep down I really missed the music from back home. But last night I confirmed that it is indeed the music, not me that has issues.

I went to a town celebration with Viviana last night. There was a big concert in the town statium with some really big name bands. There were thousands of people there and it was so exciting for because now that I live in Lurìn there is stuff like concerts and festivals to attend. We got there around midnight and the band that was playing was a hip rock and roll all male band. It was great, all the band members were cute and really loved their music. I couldn`t figure out why I hadn`t heard more of their music. Followed by the the rock band two different cumbia bands played. Cumbia is a type of latin. big band style of music with a full orchestra and several singers. These bands are also always all male. The last band to play is really famous in Peru. Of course really famous in Peru means they have the same number of followers at a good underground band in the states. But, this band sings 5 of the 20 songs that are played on the radio. This band started playing at 3 in the morning and were still going when we left at 5. After the first hour they had played all their popular songs which I new all the words to. Then I couldn´t believe it, instead of playing new stuff, they just played the same songs over again. And I seemed to be the only one bothered by this. How hard is it to fill two hours of different songs! But it just confirmed that Peruvians just like the music that they know.

The night was really fun, but like I said, we didn´t go home till 5 in the morning and it was a tuesday. Lucky for me I am vounteer and am able to control my schedule. I didn`t get up until noon today. But the group I went with all work at city hall and only got an hour of sleep. While in general, I classify Peruvians as having a monatenous taste in Music they can party like rock stars.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That is so funny! I would have to agree with you that although popular songs do get a lot of air time here, they only last a week or two before the next big thing comes along. I'm more of an NPR listener these days, so I can't really tell you what's "in" right now. Glad to hear you're having such a great time! xoxo, Amme