Monday, July 14, 2008

My Mom on Peru

Even though I have yet to post my Machu Picchu trip and pictures, I am posting something my mom wrote about her trip. My mom is probably my most avid reader as well as my personal editor and I asked her if she would write a little something about her experience. Hope you all enjoy it, I certainly did. My trip to Peru was actually two trips of different natures. The first trip was as a tourist and the second was a visit with my daughter to experience the places and people she serves as a Peace Corps volunteer. There were many contrasts between these two aspects of my vacation and I will try my best to put them into words.
During my two weeks in Peru, I was able to. . .
--experience the grandeur of the Andes and Machu Picchu. . .and sit at a fly-ridden juice cart Lurin town drinking fresh squeezed pineapple/orange juice.
--wander the cobbled streets of Cusco with its historic city center. . .and traipse through dusty streets of Lurin to visit Ali's hogars.
---visit with travelers from England, Australia, Mexico and all parts of the US. . . and meet Candace, Jake, Danielle, Bron, Dennis, and Carrie, Ali's peace corps and Lima buddies.
----watch the sun rise from behind the Andean peaks at Machu Piccu. . .and watch the faces of little girls light up as the screamed "Ali!!
----At the Inkaterra hotel, ponder the query,"When would you like to schedule your massage?". . . and ponder the query from the cook at the hogar, "Would you like chicken or guinea pig for lunch?"
----chug up the amazingly spectacular canyon on the backpacker train to the base of Machu Picchu. . .and jostle and bounce through the streets of Lima and Lurin in exhaust belching taxis and mini-busses.
----shop for Peruvian treasures of silver and alpaca. . . offer to buy Ali anything she wanted to make her life easier and she politely declining every offer.
----marvel at the magnificence of the Incan civilizations, all accomplished without the wheel. . .and understand the respect and admiration I have for my daughter for her humanitarian and loving spirit.

Thanks mom for writing this. And for the record, I didn't refuse every offer. I've been cuddling up everynight with the baby alpaca blanket my parents bought for me and it is awesome!!!!

No comments: