Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Okay really, I´m ready to know

I didn´t think I was that nervous about my site assignment. Obviously I care, but I went to great measures convincing myself that anywhere I get sent will be fine. I had a few scattered days where I was consumed by thinking about it. Knowing that worrying would do me no good I resigned my fears and concerns. Or so I thought. Last night,I had nightmare after nightmare after nightmare. They weren´t the scary kind of nightmare, but the kind that make you feel so anxious you wake up every hour. So, I guess deep down, I still am pretty nervous. I talked to Tom about it today and we decided at least the root of my fear. I wish I could have learned this earlier about myself so I could have told this to my boss and avoided this area. According to my subconscious, there is a site I am pretty afraid I´ll get sent to. I don´t want to say what that site is cause if I get sent there, then everyone will know it´s not where I want to be. But consciously, any site I get sent to will be fine...right? Why can´t they just tell us where we are going?!
I got a sweet package in the mail from my mom yesterday. I got a big costco bag of dried blueberries which was perfect timing. Just this past weekend after I was modeling peanut butter I found in a market, and my family asked me about other foods we had in the US that didn´t exist in Peru. On the spot I struggled to come up with something all the sudden came up with blueberry. Of course I had no idea what to call the fruit seeing as it does not have a name in Peru and tried to describe it them. They I had no idea what I was talking about so it was great when the dried blueberries showed up with a pictures on the bag and everything. It was also a great cultural exchange, my family really enjoyed getting to try something that was special and only found in the US.
Today is the first day of August. Usually when august hits, there is a strange sentiment of sadness that probably comes from all those years in school which signified that summer was flying by and soon classes would start again. August is always characterized by long, hot, lazy days and a disbelief that the warm weather would ever end. This August first, I have an even stranger sentiment I can´t put my finger on. It can´t really be August? Nothing about my body tells me it´s August. It is going to be so weird to actually have the weather get warmer from here on out. Thanksgiving in spring time? The only thing about the end of the "summer" is the change of schedule I´ve grown so accustomed to. Only this time instead of transitioning from vacation to school, I´m transitioning from training to site. If only I knew where I was going....

No comments: