Sunday, August 19, 2007

Pachamanca and sleepover


My Peace Corps Peru 9 Family. I love my group. They make everyday of training worth it.


















We had a traditional Pachamanca on Friday. It starts by digging a hole in the ground, building a fire and heating up rocks on top












Then, you take the hot hot rocks off, and scoop out all the ash and wood from the hole so you can fill it up with comida.









Then you fill the whole with all kinds of crazy food. Franks puttin in the potatoes. He was the official padrino (godfather) of the pachamanca, cause he´s gonna be out in the campo where they do this sort of thing regularly. He has already done 4 at site visit alone.




This is the raw chicken we put in. Every layer of food is followed by green Herbs and the hot hot rocks.







Then you bury the whole thing with dirt. Doesn´t sound to sanitary does it. It´s not. The best part is, after you unbury it, not only is everything covered with dirt, you eat with your hands too.









then you have some crazy native ceremony to bless the gods. We did some funny praying stuff and paid tributes to the Inca gods. Although, I think it resembled a lesbian common law wedding more than anything else






This is me and my girls saturday night at our slumber party.












This is the group sitting down for dinner like the family that we are.

This is the next morning, with everyones tent pitched in the backyard of the training center. That´s frank just roughing it in the orange sleeping bag, he was made for the campo.

5 comments:

Tiffany said...

lesbian common law wedding.. that made me laugh out loud in my little peruvian internet cabina.

cbs said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kristen said...

Ali, this reminds me of our fish grilling nights of yore. Let's revive that tradition when you come back!

Unknown said...

Ali! I finally found your blog and i'm so glad I did. I love reading about all the things that you are doing. You're so awesome, I wish I could be more like you! love you and miss you.

Bagoo said...

with all the eating, are you getting fatter? it looks like it. I've lost weight. I'm down to a healthy 1/2 ton now.

byyyyyyyyyye.

-fatty