Monday, August 27, 2007

Swearing In


They changed training this time around from 10 weeks to 11. In my opinion, the 11th week was a bit of a waste. But it was great cause it allowed us to screw around with our friends and put off site for 7 more days. We finished up language classes in week 10 and all we did for youth development activities was wrap up stuff. Week 10 was pretty and crazy. We were in Lima a lot doing interviews and stuff that at least seemed important. Week 11 we got there an hour late, took a two hour lunch and went home two hours early. Bunch of people came from the main office to talk to us about a bunch of admin stuff. We seriously laid around most of the day. But night time was a different story.
We had 3 birthdays this week, plus a all the going away stuff. There were big parties every night. They were classic training parties. The host families do all this work to decorate, cook and buy alcohol and then all the Americans come, put on English music and eat and drink everything and take off without thanking the host properly. The best party was by far Drew’s birthday. His dad had been throwing the best parties all of training. Drew’s birthday isn’t until the 29th, but his parents insisted on throwing a party. It was out side under a big tent with lights and a disco ball, the works. Everyone came to training the next day, many of them still drunk, and all anyone could talk about was the party. Of course, I missed it. My host mom asked me to pick a day that would be good to go out to dinner. Going out to dinner, at least at the economic level we live in, is a big deal. There are so many nice restaurants in Chaclacayo, but when we started walking in the opposite direction, I asked where we were going and my host mom said “lobolo”. I had no idea where Lobolo was, but I had heard of it. We left at seven and I was really hoping to make it to the party. We rode on the combi all the way to Lima. Wow, we must be going to a really special place if we are going to Lima, I thought. My host mom was super dressed up. We ended up going to a friend chicken place, right on the freeway. I couldn’t believe it. We came all this way to go to a upscale KFC? There are so many places like this 5 minuets away from our house. It was good food at least, and I really enjoyed the time with my family.
Thursday we had planned a party for the host families. It was really simple, just a way of saying thanks. I was in charge of getting the flower bouquets. It was a new experience doing the flower thing here in Peru. We each presented the attending member of our families, said a few words of thanks in front of everyone, and gave them flowers and picture of the group. Then we did a few of our skits from the talent show and then ate some food. We had PB&J sandwiches, guacamole and chocolate chip cookies. It was a sweet American spread. It was kind of awkward though, cause my host mom pulled some crazy stuff and the result was that my, Jamar’s and Heather’s mom no longer speak to Adrienne’s mom. Apart from that, it was a nice party, short and sweet.
Friday was the big day.
Swearing in. We came in in the morning, had a session where we said thank you to all the staff members, followed by yet another admin session but we got our cell phones. Then we all took off to get ready for the ceremony. For most girls, getting ready for a big moment that required you to dress up, is a big to do. It was really weird, after being a peace corps trainee and not wearing make up or anything else cute, getting “girly” for the first time in months. I felt really strange, not quite comfortable and old. I packed up all my stuff at some point in all this. We got SO MANY books and training stuff it is an absolute miracle I was able to pack it all in the bags that I had brought. So with Adrienne and Heather, I said goodbye to Huascaran. I remember how scared I felt when the peace corps driver dropped me off that first day two and half years months ago. I don’t know what it was that made me feel so comfortable there so fast. It’s easy to pass it off as just having Americans around, but in the all the time I spent in Spain, I never felt as comfortable as I do here, and I was just as surrounded by Americans in Spain. For whatever reason, I hope I feel just as at home at my new site as I did during training, although know it will take a lot more time now that all the Americans are gone. The swearing in Ceremony was very short as well, no more than a half an hour. They built a big tent in the backyard of the training center and one of the American Ambassadors spoke, so it seemed like it should be a big deal, but it all happened so fast I was like, Is that it? We all got announced one by one, and then together we said the oath where we swore allegiance to the constitution and promised to always defend the United States against enemies, so help me God.

The ambassador spoke in spanish, as we all did as our host families attended. But after he did the formalities of the speech, he apologized to all the spanish speakers because he wanted to speak to us in English. He Basically told us that a lot of countries don´t hold the US with a high regard. We are lucky as PCVs that we are serving in a country that still likes the US and that part of our job was showing the world that we´re not all missile carrying oil tycoons. He encouraged us to stay active in international affairs throughout our life. It was one of the more honest speechesve heard in a while, I liked it. Then, just like that,we were officially Peace Corps volunteers.

We had about a half hour to eat and mingle and then we said goodbye to our host families. Some host moms and volunteers cried. I didn´t. I felt pretty numb, l knew what was going on and I was sad to be leaving, but I think I was too nervous to feel really sad. We hopped on the bus and of course got lost. The last 4 times I have taken a combi with my PC group, we´ve gotten lost. but we eventually got there and went right to dinner. We made reservations at a place built into a cliff overlooking the water. It was nice, but bittersweet. The drinking began immediately. I had been looking forward to this night for a long time, but when it finally rolled around I wasn´t feeling my usual party self. I was so exhausted from everything plus I was nervous about what was coming. I drank a bit and even went out to a sports bar while everyone else went out to the clubs. Our technical trainer for youth development,who is a 3rd year volunteer was there. I really enjoyed our talk. He loved his experience so much as a PCV that is was reassuring to listen to him. Bet after him and Baby grande finished their beers, I went back to the hotel and they went to meet up with the group. It was 2 AM but I felt really lame for going home early.

5 AM rolled around and I was back up. I heard a bunch of drunken English, so I had to get up and see what was going on. My group was the first group in recent PC Peru history to not have any hook ups. But swearing in blew that out of the water. Practically all of Youth development made out with some one else from Youth developemt or a peruvian or some one. And there was drama! I´m not gonna say what, but in the end I´m glad I went home early.

Saturday was weird. It was nice to wake up in Miraflores and walk to the beach and get a Starbucks. But I had site looming over me, and couldn´t fully enjoy it. I convinced the people who are staying an extra week at training from Quechua training to spend another night in Lima with me. So Saturday we crashed at a hostel a bit less glamorous than the PC had put us up in, and had a relaxing night. We bought pizza and popcorn and watched Simpson's the movie and little miss sunshine, it was really nice. The next morning, we ate breakfast together, and then they were gone. Time for site..... Today is Monday, I got here yesterday afternoon. I´m gonna safe if for my next blog, hopefully tomorrow. Keep reading and keep sending the love, I´m gonna need it more this first month than ever before.

4 comments:

Kristen said...

Peru agrees with you, you look beautiful!
Message me with your new address - I'm off to see Ev in a week, we'll send a postcard from Croatia! xoxo, Kris

Unknown said...

Oh my gorgeous Ali Girl, looking so glamorous in her little black dress with her bags packed....standing in the middle of a dirt road. That picture makes me feel sentimental, and oh so proud. You are so generous and brave. We're all rooting for ya kid!

August Caravalho said...

Ali, your writing in insanely excellent. The Peace Corps knows what its doing linking to this blog. I think along with "fluent Spanish" and "adventurer" your Peruvian experience ought to land "writer" on your resume as well.

Unknown said...

Congratulations, Al! I can't wait to hear about the adventures Peru has in store for you next. Love you!