Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Putting it all in perspective

I was very relived to get back to training. I´ve only been in Peru for 9 weeks but already I´ve grown so used to my host family here and my friends in Peace Corps that it felt like I was coming home. I figure if I was able to adjust to my environment so quickly here, I will hopefully get used to my new home too. It was so wonderful to see all my friends and here about their site visits. Some people absolutely loved there sites and said they didn´t want to come back to training. But I´d say the majority of us were a little freaked out and were nervous about the next two years. I´m happy to report not a single person hated their site, or at least confessed to it. Some people have really great set ups with all the amenities one could hope. Some one even has a maid working in their house! But once again, the majority of us have a lot of things that´ll take some getting used to. I really feel for the people who got sent to the Ketchawa communities. I can´t imagine learning all this spanish and then going somewhere your own host family doesn´t speak spanish and having to start from scratch all over again. Some people didn´t have bedrooms of their own. One girl has to shower in the river wearing clothes. It definitely put a lot of things in perspective but more than anything, it´s priceless to have so many people going through the same things I am.

2 comments:

GlobalJanine said...

I've been following your posts since I'm applying for the Peace Corp as well. I'm curious to know how the recent earthquakes have affected you all...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/6949984.stm

Unknown said...

Ali,
Please post as soon as you can to let us know that you are ok after the earthquake! I am worried sick.
Love and Hugs,
Amme