Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Bye Bye Mike












Today we had our language class at mikes house. It´s really neat actually. We have small language classes and instead of having all out classes in the boring old taining center, we have them in different houses in different communities so we can get to see other houses and neighborhoods other than our own. At the end of class today, Mike asked us to go outside cause he had an announcement. He told us he was going back to the United States. He said it in spanish, so that combined with the gavity of the statement took a second to actually set in. I didn´t see it comming. I knew not every person was going to make it till the end, but it never seemed like anyone would actually leave. Mike´s a great guy and I´d been meaning to share some of his stories on my blog, cause he has some of the best. Mike is in small business development, but he got placed in a house with 15 girls. He was the only boy. Of those 15, there was the mother, the aunt and a few girls in their late teens, but the rest of them were all young girls. I can maybe see somebody from youth development getting that house, but it just seemed like a misfit for mike. He has some trully hilarous stories from living with these 15 peruvian women, like one of the 3 year olds running around naked and throwing her clothes into the fire. Or Tom would say, that he would go over to Mikes and the house would be pure chaos, but Mike would just be sitting at the table drinking coffee and say "hey Tom" as if nothing at all was strange. The picture above is my language class in Mike´s house. Mike´s the one in the middle, this was taken 10 minutes after he told us he was leaving. Mike said it didn´t have anything to do with Peru, he said he just didn´t wanted to do small business development, it just wasn´t the direction he wanted to go with his life. Well, we´re all sad to see you go Mike. I wish you luck back in the states.





In other news, my mom sent me my camera cord so I can post my own photos finally. She also sent me my new ATM card, but she didn´t put in a letter or anyother kind of sentiment from home. Come on mom, you can do better than that. Danielle´s mom however, sent me a letter saying how much she enjoyed my blog and she sent me a piece of candy. Thank you Robin, I enjoyed your letter very much. I´ve posted this picture of Danielle with all the mail she recieved, to show my mom how happy we are when we get mail.




The past two days at training we´ve had volunteers come in and talk to us from Peru 5. They just finished their close of service conference and all them will be leaving in a few months. They had a lot of wisdom to pass on to us and we were very eager to pick their brains. This a picture of a our group doing a skit on brushing your teath. Training definetly feels like we are back in elementary school, but since I read at a third grade reading level in spanish, I´m okay with it. And doing skits and games keeps the 8-5 schedule from getting too boring.











This is a picture from two weekends ago with Adriane and me went to the Zoo with my host family. That little boy is her host family. That was a silly day. I guess if training makes me feel like I´m back in elementary school, going to the zoo is only appropriate.











Well, I will post more picture and what not later. Kristen and Evan it was great to here from you both. Congrats on your exam Evan, now you can enjoy your last month in the states. I hope your not freaking out to much. I´m going to Chosica for a goodbye night with Mike. He only told the three other people in our language group so most people are going out tonight and they have no idea why we´re making them go. Um, as much as I would like to abc check this entry, the abc check is for spanish and I don´t have time to go proof read. But you guys all know me and love me regardless of the fact that I can´t spell to save my life. Miss you guys!

4 comments:

e said...

What a coincidence, that is the same dance I do when I brush my teeth!

Unknown said...

Hi! Awesome pictures! That's sad that Mike is leaving so soon, but I guess when you know you know. I'm glad you're having fun. I need to dig up your email address so I can write to you. Miss you. Hugs!

Unknown said...

Hi Ali!

I miss you, which isnt a good sign cause you're going to be gone for like 400 more months (yes, that many). I work with a guy from Woodland now and it always makes me think of you. Strange, I know. Your blogs are fun, keep writing them. I hope all things peru are still going well. Take care!

Kristen said...

hey, I got a shout out!