Wednesday, June 20, 2007

gettin to know the locals

First, I´m gonna start with a shout out to Daniel´s mom. Hi, thanks for reading my blog and I´m sorry Daniel doesn´t post more! Yesterday was Daniel´s birthday, so we all went out to Chosica to celebrate. There were probably 20 of us there and it was really fun. We had a little beer (some more than others) and danced a little (some more than others). Which one did I do more of? I´ll put it this way, today Jake told me his host brothers liked me. I askd why cause I didn´t even meet them. He said that they liked the "active one". I think calling me active is an understatement. I look at nights in the disco as a way to get out all my pent up enegery and get a great work out. When I get stressed, I definetly like to dance it off every now and then.
I got pretty stressed out today. Training is very intensive and I have tons of work, and it´s scary work. They make us go out in our communities and actually do stuff! Obviously, this is why I signed up for the peace corps, but actually walking up to a complete stranger who speaks a language other than yours and trying to interview them and symltaneously have them except you into their community as one of their own, is a little intimidating when it comes time to do it. Tomorrow I am getting up in from of 30 peruvian kids and have to entertian them for 45 minuets with out them hating me of just laughing at me. This too is very intimidating. But I´ll say this, at least it´s hands on training and when I get to my site I will hopefully feel prepared to be out on my own.
Some days I feel like my spanish is very good. Others I feel like I am the biggest idiot in the world. I can´t really think of much to report. My excitment has definetly given way to the every day bump and grind. But I get excited when I think about getting my site assignemt and moving into my future community. We had two returned PCV´s from Peru 2 come and talk to us today. The girl said that out of her group, 5 girls ended up marrying Peruvians, 2 volunteers married each other and she was dating and probably going to marry a volunteer as well. Don´t worry guys, I have zero intrest in dating while I´m here. But my whole group is pretty obsessed with dating and sex over the next 27 months. 2+ years is a long time for people in their 20´s to go without either, so everybody´s romantic escapades should become a great sorce of entertainmenmt in the future. Like I said I don´t have much to report, I´m just rambling so I guess will end it on that.

1 comment:

SFB said...

Glad to hear every now and then you get to play as hard as you work. I like the active one too!