Thursday, July 5, 2007

4th of July

I got a little overwhelmed the day before the 4th. Sometimes I feel like I am the biggest idiot when I come to language, and it´s true to a point. I was in desperate need of the wonderful day I had yesterday.
We didn´t have class or training at all yesterday. We had made teams earlier in the week and spent the whole morning playing games like dodge ball and water balloon toss. Everyone had such a great time, and the sun even came out for most of the day. I have now experienced my first 4th of July in winter. I definitely missed the hot weather and swimming pools, although I hear in Woodland it was over 100 degrees so I´m not sure if I miss that. After lots of games in the morning we had a big potluck and ate hamburgers, which were really processed chicken patties, and PB&J sandwiches.
After Lunch Adrienne and I went to a children's home that houses handicapped and sick children. Most of them are there for post/pre surgery. These kids are extremely lucky to get sent to a place like this, some of them even get sent to the US for surgery. Then me and Adrienne went to tres de octubre to help Jake and Drew with a presentation in spanish. Even though I feel like I am the dumbest person in the world sometimes, it´s weird to think that I am better at spanish than most other volunteers. And for our help, Jake (or his host mom at least) made real brewed coffee. All I drink at my house is instant, so that was a nice treat.
My friend Vishal´s host sister is in cosmetology school, so we met him there and we got our hair cut for free. That night, we went to Chacrasana for Cass´s 21 birthday party. Cass is the youngest person in out group and she´s married too. Her and her husband have such a sweet set up. They have their own little apartment apart from the house. There was a big fire in the backyard, and lots of food and drink. Plus, there was a great impromptu 80´s dance party, where I put on quite a show for the all the peruvians there. Yesterday was one of those days I was so happy to be in Peru and it was definitely one of the most memorable 4th of July´s I´ve ever had!

No comments: