Friday, July 27, 2007

Back to training

I haven´t written mush about returning to training because I haven´t been inspired really. Training is great, but after FBT it´s been hard to settle back into class room mode again. I´m very ready to get out there and start working for real. Sitting in training 8 hours a day is wearing on me. It´s not all sitting though. I´ve been quite busy with actual work.
On tuesday, some of the mothers in my community asked me if I would teach them english. I don´t think these women have any concept of how hard it is to learn a new language, especially at their age, but of course I agreed. They also invited about 20 kids from the neighborhood. So on Wednesday, I taught an english class for people ranging in age from 4 to 55. You can imagine the challenges involved in this. But it went really well. I taught them basic intorductions ¨hello, my name is....¨ and so on and we learned body parts in english. We ended with a game on our new vocab and sang head, shoulders, knees and toes. I don´t care how old you are, you are never too old for Head, shoulders, knees and toes. The big teachers strike finally ended on monday so we got to go back to our class at the public school and did goals exersize. This went suprisingly well too. Tonight I am teaching my english class again in the neighborhood, so hopefully the good streak will continue.
This weekend is the big Peruvian independence holiday so it´s going to be all party party party. I´m just gonna hang out with my family and take in the cultural expereince and maybe go to Lima with a few friends. And in other news, I met with my boss lady named Kitty. She´s the one who is deciding where I get sent. We all had interviews with her on monday and tuesday, cause we´re finding out our site placements next week. Yikes! Turns out, I´m one of the few people she doesn´t really know where to put. She asked me what my preferences were and I told her I had no idea. She asked me to take the night to think about it and come back to her the next day with some specifics, i.e. mountains or coast, city or pueblo, center based or community based. So I thought about it and stressed out about it all night only to come back to her the next and tell her I still had no idea. I don´t know why I am so indisisive about this, but I geniunely do not know where I want to go. I feel like this is bad, like she´s going to fill all of the good spots and then stick me in the one that´s left over. I´m not too terribly scared though, cause I know of at least a few people who are in the same possition. Plus, I really trully feel that where ever I go will be great. It´s like, I didn´t choose to go to Peru, but I love it. So, I´ll be waiting out the next 7 days as patiently as I can. Shouldn´t be too bad, I´ve already waited 7 weeks, what´s one more.

1 comment:

Kristen said...

hey, glad you're back online after FBT!

I took Ev to the airport yesterday and he's already toiling away in some Swiss lab as I type...

I'm trying to get him to start up a blog too!