Thursday, July 12, 2007

You like me, you really like me

I am so touched that so many people are reading my blog. When I first decided to start a blog I figure it would be a great way for my parents to keep track of me. Some how, with out me knowing, my blog site got put on a peace corps website and complete strangers started reading it. I´m surprised that people actually think my life is interesting enough to read about and embarrassed that my spelling and grammar is so bad. Anyways, thanks everyone, for caring about me enough to follow me along in my journey. Keep on commenting, I look forward to reading my comments as much as I do checking my email.
Speaking of email, I got an email from Emily which was very nice and she said how it sounds like I´m doing great and that´s because my blog is so upbeat. It´s true I am doing great and I am very upbeat most of the time. Some days I come home from training and my face actually hurts from smiling so much. But I want to touch on the times that aren´t so great, like for example, this morning when it was so cold I could see my breath in the shower. The air and the water is so cold that the only warmth to be found is that leaving my body. Seriously, steam comes of my body as it heats the frigid water. The past couple days have been gray and cold. I´m missing out on summer back in California. Whenever I talk to my friends or family back home I get so jealous of all the stuff they are doing. I miss the most random stuff. Stuff that I didn´t even do on a regular bases. I miss wondering around supermarkets to get "inspiration" on things I could cook (kristen I know you can relate to that). I miss looking nice. Not that I was a walking mona lisa back home, but I miss little things like blow drying my hair and wearing cute clothes. I´ve lately been in the mood of missing being able to talk to them as regularly as I´d like. Right now, I´m talking to my parents once a week. I´m looking forward to getting my cell phone so my parents can call me more often. So the moral of this paragraph, is keep the communication coming. Anything, a comment on my blog, and email, a real letter. By the way Amanda, I got your card and it was such a wonderful surprise. It was the first piece of mail I got that wasn´t from Danielle´s mom. It sounds so dorky, but getting a letter in the mail is the greatest feeling, I´ve felt like crying I was touched. And also, as much as I would love to send real letters back to you guys, it´s a little out of the question right now. I sent a form off to the states for my student loans and it cost me 10 soles. I only get 8 soles a day so unfortunately sending mail is a luxury I can´t afford. Luckily an hour on the Internet only costs 1 sole and I can post one blog that 15 people can read and it only costs 1 sole.
Today we did some cooking in language class. It was fun but at the same time really annoying. I love to cook, but when I cook I don´t like anyone to be in the kitchen with me. I definitely like to do things my way and I don´t like to have to explain to people how to do things like cut a red pepper. Plus, Danielle´s kitchen is the size of a bathroom and my teacher insisted that everyone participate. There were definitely too many cooks, luckily, we didn´t spoil the soup so to speak. Our Lomo Saltado was very tasty.
Sunday I leave for my field based training. I´m going to the Chincha in the province of Ica which is three hours south of Lima. The 2 other groups have to take over night bus rides which are both 10+. Field based training should be great cause we get to observe volunteers in their community and the work that they´re doing first hand. Plus, we get a week long break from normal training! I think we´ve all hit a slump in training and are feeling a little burned out, FBT should be the ticket to give us motivation again. Most of my really good friends are gong to different site for FBT. I´m really excited that I have Jah in my group. He was a councilor in a boys home for a few years before joining the peace corps. He is one of my favorite people to talk to and he always seems to know what I´m feeling. It´s like it was his job or something. So that´s all. I don´t know what the Internet situation will be like during field based training so I may not post at all next week. But if that´s the case, you can at least look forward to all the great stuff I´ll have to catch you all up on when I get back.

3 comments:

Kristen said...

I think you should throw a gran peruvian dinner party when you get back & i promise I'll stay out of the kitchen!

Unknown said...

I hope you have fun at your field training. I'm not sure how you could possibly be bored of training with all of the cooking and STD talk! I'm about to leave for Austria but I really wish I was going there to see you. I'll wait a year until you are a real Peruvian and then you can be my tour guide. I miss you!

Unknown said...

hello my love! i've been hearing rave reviews about your blog and finally plugged in. your posts are terrific reads!! it's great to hear your voice and that you're enjoying yourself and having wonderful experiences. i'm home now and would love to send you a postcard from nyc. i'll write e-rock or kris for your address... is it posted somewhere on this? anyway, i'll find you. all my love, keep keeping us posted.

miss you! cris