Saturday, July 14, 2007

Oh honey honey!




Today was an interesting day. We went to the Ag university La Agraria for the third time. Today we learned about raising guinea pigs (considered a delicacy here in Peru) and bees. Growing plants is not that foreign a concept to me, but raising small rodent like animals for consumption purposes is something completely new to me.

These are pictures of us playing with said vermin which will at some point be consumed by a Peruvian. They´re too cute to eat.
Bees on the other hand are pretty scary things. They only had a


few of those bee keeper hats so the rest of us had to tough it out. I definitely had a few bees land on my face and hands and it is so hard to not freak out. Luckily, I didn´t get stung, though one of my instructors did get stung on the Chin. We got to eat fresh honey right out of the comb. It makes me really want to keep bees at my site, but I´m gonna have to by one of those fabulous hats.

After La agraria I went to see the new Harry Potter movie. The order of the Phoenix was my least favorite book but my favorite movie. It was totally sweet and now I can´t wait for the last book. I went to the movie with a handful of small business development kids. They all had to stick around Lima after the university cause they are taking an overnight bus to their field based training tonight so they didn´t have time to go home. I think I´m actually going to miss some people from this group. I have been spending a lot of time with Danielle and we went out for coffee and desert yesterday and talked about how much we wished we were going to the same training. It´s nice to know I am making such good friends here. I leave for FBT tomorrow and I´m looking forward to it. I think I´m too tired to be excited. Hopefully I´ll be able to post while I´m there. If not, I hope everybody has a great week!

4 comments:

Lili said...

Bees! omigosh!!! I would have been so scared. Fresh honey tastes pretty good, huh,--I've never had the opportunity to taste it fresh from the hive. I wish you well in your field training.

Unknown said...

Guinea pigs??? Doesn't sound so appatizing to me, but let me know if you try one:)

On a nother note. Your blog is great! however I have a hard time keeping up with it, I am always 2 or 3 behind. It seems like everyday your Dad asks me if I have read your latest blog....Also, send me your mailing address so I can send you stuff!

Kelli said...

Eating honey out of a honeycomb sounds tasty but eating a guinea pig? I don't know about that. I know you haven't but I don't know how anyone else could. I maybe could if I wasn't told what it was.
I hope you have a great time at field training, I look forward to reading your blog when you return.
Now I am off to write you some snail mail. Hopefully I will be able to get your address from your mother. Take care!

Danielle said...

HI ALI. I MISS YOU. SEE YOU MANAÑA.