Saturday, September 29, 2007

Bathroom adventures

Before this morning, I hadnt gone to the bathroom in three days. Not for lack or trying mind you, believe me, I tried. I knew I eventually would, but also I knew when I did, it was not going to be very pleasant. I was totally in heaven at the all you could eat meat buffet. It was so wonderful it was almost euphoric. Almost, because in the back of my mind I knew I was just adding fuel to the fire. I was just hoping I wouldnt have to reap the repercussions on my birthday. I was already feeling a bt sad because I said goodbye to Adrienne and I didnt get a call from my parents or anyone else from home ( To know fault of theirs, Im sure they tried but of course nothing EVER works here so they couldnt get through).

A bunch of us went out to a bar and it was great because I got to get to know some new volunteers from different groups who are super fun. The girls went home around three and the guys went home a bit later. I woke up for the first time around 6 in the morning. I felt awful. I did drink a decent amount and only went to bed a few hours before so I at first I tried to pass of pain on that, however Im sure it didnt help anythng. After laying there miserably for a few minuets I decided to have a try at the bathroom. Success! But it didnt make me feel that much better. And for the next 3 hours I went back to the bathroom probably 5 or 6 times before 3 days worth and an all you can eat meat buffet finally came full circle. The whole experience was very painful, but finally after getting up and taking a shower I felt normal again. It might now seem like an ideal place for this to happen. I was sleeping in a dorm style hostal with 5 other people and everytime I got up the wood floor made noise and every opened their eyes each time a came and went. Also, it may not seem ideal that I had to take care of my business in a not so private dorm style bathroom. Im actually relieved I did it there than back at home where there is even less privacy and I would have gone through so much water bucket flushing the toilet that many times. Not to mention the hostal bathrooms felt so clean and comfortable compared to mine, not to mention they have toilet seats and flushing toilets. So thats my story. They gave us so many preventative steps on how not to get diarrhea, but none for the opposite problem. Thats my story, hope it wasnt too gross. Between PCVs talking about our bowel movements has become like talking about the weather.

3 comments:

e said...

happy birthday ali,

It seems like only yesterday that you were telling me about your bowel movements in person. Glad to hear you had a good time and everything worked out in the end.

Lili said...

Another title for your blog could have been "The Toilet Times". It's good to know you take these "adventures" with a grain of salt.
Mama

Kristen said...

Ali, happy birthday! Sounds like a wonderful time. If I ever come to visit I hope we can go to the all you can eat meat buffet. xoxo kristen