Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Harry Potter and the Wandering Soul

Ive never been much of a reader. My mom encouraged me throughout my life to read more. Unfortunately, words were never really my thing. You know-- spelling, words in other languages, really big words in my own language-- have always given me trouble. Between this and not being able to sit still for more than 5 minuets, reading was something I rarely did when I had to, let alone as a leisure activity. Even to this day I am an embarrassingly slow reader. I probably read at around a 9th grade reading level. I dont even know about that, 9th graders read Shakespeare. Speaking of great literary works....I picked up my first Harry Potter when I was 21. I had been in Spain a little over a month and was looking for a way to pass the time. I started with the third book, The Prisoner of Azkaban (dont pretend like you didnt know that). I was hooked.

I found salvation from boredom in a book that I actually enjoyed reading. I didnt dread coming home from school at the end of the day to a depressing, lonely room. I raced home so I could jump in my bed and pick up where I last left Harry, Ron and Hermione. I read the Goblet of Fire as I was traveling around Europe in December. I spent many a romantic night alone with Harry on softly lit, first class train car. I cant think about Christmas 2004 without thinking about Harry Potter and the Goblet of fire (oh Cedric). In Contrast to the landscape of the dark, snowy mountain sides of switzerland and austria, I read the 5th book of the series on the shores of the Costa del Sol during semana santa. My parents and Zack came to spain for the easter holiday. I spent the days turning the pages on the coast of the Mediterranean drinking sangria with my mom. I waited to read the book until my brother was there so I could share my excitement about the Order of the Phoenix with him (oh Sirius). I had to wait for the 6th book to come out. I was in Rhode Island and was the first time I was one of the eager fans awaing the next phase of the story. My mom, very supportive of the fact I was electing to read on my own, bought the book for me. In between shifts at the Dunes Club, I escaped to the beach to get in as much as I could of the Half Blood Prince (oh Dumbledor).

I could hardly wait for the next two years for the final chapter to be published. But Once I arrived in Peru I made the decision to wait just 2 more months after it came out. I wanted to wait till site. I knew site was going to be hard and lonely at first, and I wanted to save it. Ive never read a Harry Potter in California. Harry Potter means so much more to me than just a silly story about a wizard. Hes been with me through some of the biggest transitions of my life, and here he is again, in perhaps the biggest yet. I bought the 6th book the day I moved to site. But I couldnt read it the first week. I couldnt concentrate. I think I got through the first 3 sentences before I concluded I wouldnt pick the book up again until I was calm and ready. Ive been at it for 2 weeks now. Im only on page 300, roughly half way, and its not because I am a slow reader. For one, I get so caught up in the story, I usually have nightmares about harry if I read right before I got to bed. So I try to read only during the daytime, the last thing I need right now is to get all worked up in the middle of the night when Im trying to cool and relaxed. Second, I dont want the book to be over. I like knowing I have something to go home to. Even on the days where I dont have a thing planned, I know I will be able to spend at least a few happy hours with harry and the gang. Lastly, Im scared about what will happen. Ive been told a lot of people die and I am so dang attached to these characters, I dont want to know. Im always so depressed when I finish a book, so I am trying to take my sweet time with the deathly hollows. I know, much like my time in spain and Europe, I will look back at my first month in Peru and think of Harry Potter. Although this time I am not in a cozy, first class train car, or on a private beach of a swanky resort. I am in cold, foggy, lonely Peru. Which I know, one day, I will look back on as fondly as I do the other adventures Harry has followed me on.

2 comments:

Lili said...

Ali,
You don't read well compared to whom?
So you struggle with a little attention problem or read a little slower than some of your friends. I'm so proud of how you always challenge yourself by reading classic novels, history books or even working at crossword puzzles (I'm sure you'll work up to the NEw York Times one of these days)!! I loved this entry.

Unknown said...

Aww, Aligirl!
I agree with your mama, this was a great post. I just recently finished the last HP and I cried a lot, and reading your post got me going again! Who are you kidding saying you don't have a way with words when you write so beautifully it brings tears to my eyes. I think it is hard to finish a good book and especially a good series because it is like saying goodbye to friends. But there are always new friends to make and old friends to revisit. Hope all is well, I miss you!
Love,
Amme