Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Just like and episode on Cribs

Okay dudes, here they are. Photos of what my site looks like. When I say I live out in the middle of nowhere, I mean it. This is a picture taken from my front porch. As Ive said, I literally live amongst the farms.







This is my house. The window on the left is my house and the window on the right and the window on the right is where one of my host moms daughter lives with her family. All in all there are 14 people that live in this cozy set up. That brick structure on top of the house is my room.






This is me standing right outside my house. My "town" is a row of ramshackle houses built up against the side of a dirt hill.










This is taken right outside my bedroom. As you can see the dirt hill jets up right out the back of our house.







This is the long, unlit dirt road I have to walk down to get to Lurin. I cant tell you how many stares and cat calls I get when I walk down this road. Its dangerous at night so I have to find other means to get home if Im out past sun down









This s my bathroom. On the right is toilet and on the left is the shower. Just a thin shower curtain separates this area from the kitchen. Modesty and privacy are very loose concepts.









So then this is a residential street in Lurin.










This is what the houses look like just 5 minuets away from where I live









This s the main street in Lurin where all the restaurants, internet cafes and shops are.








This is the town square in Lurin. The very standard yellow cathedral thats in most town in Peru. Its cute, would be even cuter if the sun would come out.
So yeah, thats my site. I know the pictures arent much, but it was a pain in the butt to finally get them uploaded. And hopefully it gives you a faint idea of where it is that I live.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Ali!!! it sounds like you're adjusting to Peruvian life well! I'm so glad I get to read what you're doing in the peace corp! Can't wait to experience it with you and steph soon! miss you and keep the pics coming!

<3

Emily J said...

The pictures are so fun! Although your town doesn't offer much Lurin looks really quaint and nice.

I hope you enjoyed your birthday; we'll have to celebrate a big 26 when your back in the states to make up for the ones we're missing!

Take care my dearest and fingers crossed that the bowels get back on track!