Sunday, September 9, 2007

A day in the life

Just to give you all an idea of what my life is like now that I am at site. Today I woke up at 930. This is definitely sleeping in by my standards. Although I have nothing to do in the mornings, or the whole day for that matter, I force myself to get up everyday between 7 and 8. I take my box or Cereal, that I have to buy in Lima and hoard in my room, downstairs and sit and eat my wheat flakes and soy milk in silence. Some times the 1 year olds are already in full force and running around like crazy. On those days I sit in silence and watch the chaos unfold around me.
Ive been averaging about showering one in every three days. Its so cold right now and the thought of a freezing shower is hard to psych yourself up for everyday. So on the days that I actually conjure the energy to deal with a shower, I do so after breakfast. The water smells like sulfur, and I havent actually felt clean since I got to site. All the less motivation I have to shower regularly. Then, during the morning hours, I find something to do. This past week, I went to Lima every day to try and get my bank stuff taken care of. It still is not all settled, so Ill be going back again on monday. I have no idea how Im going to pass the hours of the morning once I dont have to run to Lima everyday.
Lunch has varied from day to day. My host family eats the same thing for lunch as they dinner. And its usually just rice and potatoes, sometimes with really weird chicken parts thrown in there. My favorite is chicken foot soup. So sometimes for lunch, Ill go into Lurin and eat a restaurant. Its very reasonable and I get a starter, entree and drink for about $1.25. Some days I go to the Hogar early and eat with the kids. The food is pretty good, but I have to deal things like them sneezing directly onto my plate. Then, if Im at the Hogar I usually stay all afternoon and play with the kids or do whatever activity Ive organized. On the days that I dont go into the hogar, I go home and sit in my room and read or play free cell on my computer. Every other evening I wonder into Lurin, to use the internet, by milk or whatever random food item I need and get a cup of tea at a cafe.
I have attempted going to the gym a few times. It has never been open. I really dont get it. The other day I was ringing the doorbell, like they told me to do and man walked by and told me they are only open in the evenings. Thats kind of a bummer for me, but I will make it work some how. Especially cause they have warm water showers. The evening I spend at home. I eat dinner, sometimes with the family, sometimes alone. It mostly depends on them. There isnt always food either. Sometimes they eat it all and dont leave me any and its dark and too late to leave the house to get some food. On those nights I just have a bowl of cereal. Then I go back to my room for the rest of the night. I usually talk on my phone for at least an hour a night. I talk to other volunteers mostly, but sometimes my parents too. Then I read, listen to music, watch old episodes of Greys anatomy and play free cell till I feel sleepy.
Thats my life. Not all that exciting, but its only the second week.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow, so you really are roughing it! At least you're getting the Peace Corps experience of eating chicken feet and taking cold, sulphur-y showers. That really sucks about sometimes not getting food, I know that I get sad and grumpy when I haven't eaten. Is there other food beside cereal that you can stow in your room? I'm thinking ramen, but that isn't the most nutritious or tasty... maybe there's something similarly quick and non-perishable in Peru? Either way, you gotta stay fed. Take good care of yourself! I love and miss you lots.

Unknown said...

Hello Ali,

My name is Pilar, I am from Lima -Peru but living in FL - USA since 2004, you know what is funny? that I was looking for places to go while visiting Lima and suddenly I saw your blog and started reading your it and found it very interesting and funny too..
I can imagine how do you feel in a totally new country with a totally different culture and customs, specially in the area where you are, lurin, it is not as the main city Lima where people is more outgoing and where you find more things to do and places to go, but i guess there is nothing you can do since you are there for a mission...what I found funny is how you described the food..ha,ha,ha you know that Peruvian cuisine is very recognized around the world and usually Peruvians eat everything (chicken foot, chicken heart, cow's heart, head etc)..anyway, if you need somebody to talk to,or ask things about Peru, you can write me to this email airam_ralip10@hotmail.com

Bye!

Pilar

amanda said...

Ali...

Hey lady... Let's see... It just turned fall out in Michigan, my first -- we'll see what it holds. Right now I'm at that point where I ask myself why do i continue to do new things. i mean it always ends up being rewarding but it's a bit lame for a while. Friends are few, family is far away and all i'm supposed to do with my time is study and study and then take a few tests. Ergh!!! Anyway, i know this probably won't lighten your heart to read, but just wanted you to know where i was at :) ... Love you aligirl--