Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Gray skies are gonna clear up?

So yesterday I got pretty bumbed out. The worst Ive felt since my first week. I think a large part of it is the weather. I have always had sunshine in my life. Even the year in spain, which was the longest, coldest winter of my life, was sunny most days of the week. But the sun just does not come out here, ever. It makes me not want to get out of bed in the morning. That combined with the fact that heating is not something that exists. Houses are indoor out door buildings here. The stair way in our house leads from the kitchen to outside with no door or anything. This also leads to massive amounts of flies constantly buzzing around the house. There are usually around 20 or more flies in the living room and god knows how many flies meandering around my lunch and dinner which are left out all day and night. And its still winter and freezing. Ive been told the flies get bad in the summer time. Last time I checked, 20 flies in your living room and 40 more in the kitchen was bad. So even though I am counting down the days till I can step out of the house wearing less than 4 layers of clothing, I am definitely not looking forward to the increase or disease spreading pests in my house.

I finished Harry Potter yesterday, and like I predicted, I was immediately sad afterwards. Not that I didnt like the end, and not to give anything away but, I totally called it. I didnt have any plans yesterday, and knew I needed to get out of the house and not wallow around all day being miserable. I desperately needed a hair cut so I figured yesterday was the perfect day. Where I live is very humid. My hair is long, thin, tangley, dry at the bottom and oily at the top. I shower when I can and there is no mirror in my house. The long hair style that Ive been sporting the last two years just wasnt working. I figured a good shoulder length cut would the most practical. Its easier to wash and dry but I can still throw it up in a pony tail or a french braid on the days I dont shower. So I went into the hair cutting place and told the lady this. What I ended up with is so far from what I told her I wanted. My hair before was a strait across cut, I told her I wanted it a strait, easy to manage style. Yet, some how I ended up with the craziest layers Ive ever had, and its way shorter than I told her. Now I cant even put my hair up in a pony tail without a bunch of hair clip, and a braid is out of t e question. It dosent look bad at all, its actually pretty cute, but I just dont have the means of taking care of it. And when its not done, its looks bad. So that really put a damper on my already gloomy day.

My only comfort yesterday, was going to the gym. Something Ive realized about gyms and Peru, is that Peruvians only go to the gym when they want to loose weight. Well, I guess thats true more for women. My aerobics instructor, whom I shower with every day after class, looked me up and down one day and asked if I wanted to loose weight. I said no, I just like exercising. She seemed to be the only one who understands that I exercise for fun. Word has spread in my little town and at my work that I go to the gym in Lurin and all the women ask me why I go, cause I dont need to loose weight. I get the same response out from the women in my class and many people have flat out asked me how much I weigh. I get out of that question by telling them we dont use Kilos in my country so I dont know. Every one at my gym now knows me and call me by my name. I cant decide if this is a good thing or a bad thing. Yes, it is nice going somewhere where everybody knows me and I have people to chat with. But at the same time, sometimes its nice to go to the gym to escape exactly that and just get in the zone and not have to worry about any one but myself.

I was still feeling a bit down today. I definitely have hit a small bumb in the road and know that Im gonna have to push through this week. I got next week to look forward to so for now I just gotta get through what looks to be rough couple of days.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey sweetie,
I know your grey skies will clear up soon, both literally and figuratively. I think it is really good that you share both the ups and the downs of your experience with us, you truly are making some personal sacrifices to be able to help others. I'm sure I can speak for all of your readers in saying that we respect and appreciate you so much! I hope you have another book to launch into now that you're done with Harry, and I'm glad you're enjoying the gym. Do you have a headband or something to hold back those layers until they grow out? Sounds like it's time to look for a new hairstylist!
Love ya,
Amber

Lili said...

Ali,
I'm so glad you have Amber. She always has something positive to say. We love you Amber!
She is a gem of a friend.
Are all the other women at the gym overweight or are they just obsessed with being really thin? I have a hard time reconciling the two worlds in which you live: with a family who can't afford to eat much protein and that there is a health club in the vicinity at all. This community of people that barely has enough food to eat goes to the gym to lose weight????
Hang in there Ali--the sun will shine!

zack said...

hi Ali,
i hoped you liked harry potter alot,
yesterday was one of my hardest days so far also, i cant write much at the moment, ive got to leave for a rehearsal in about 5 minutes, but i would love to hear from you if you get the chance so we can talk about the book if you like. I love you and im sorry i havnt gotten around to reading and commenting on your blogs before this, but i plan to make a habbit out of it from here on out. i love you so much, especially now that im in collage and i could value so much from your experiences and thought on from your college life. I will be in touch, hang in there ali, you are the toughest person i know and if anyone can get through hard times its you.

Love your little baby brother

Unknown said...

Hi Ali
...So you got a hair cut, and I bet you paid a lot less than it would have been in the states, so, I guess that was not bad, I just had my hair trimmmed last week for $30 and I used to pay 5 soles in Peru (that is about $3.00)..also the food in Peru is very cheap! specially fruit, 1 pound of apples is like $0.30, milk, chicken and eggs much cheaper than in the states.
I am going to agree that the sky is always gray in winter and makes it look sad and decrepit..but, December through march is going to be sunny and really hot!!

Bye!

Pilar
(a Peruvian friend living in the states)